Grand Trunk Road
Based in East London’s vibrant South Woodford, the Grand Trunk Road restaurant takes inspiration from its namesake. Built for traders in the 16th century, the Grand Trunk Road is Asia’s longest road, running through several regions and connecting Bangladesh to Afghanistan. The road acted as a major trade route and is still functional today. It has welcomed many travellers, as they sought to trade ingredients, spices and recipes, giving it its lively, diverse and colourful reputation.
The Grand Trunk Road restaurant offers a huge selection of dishes inspired by the sights, sounds, smells and flavours of this famous route, as well as the vibrant atmosphere and community spirit that would have been felt by all who travelled it.
Rajesh Suri has been instrumental in the rise of Michelin Star Indian food establishments, and with more than 30 years experience, he is the UK’s most acclaimed Indian Restauranteur.
A regular on the Chef’s Table at Master Chef Professional as well as winner of the BIBA Award and Restaurant Personality of the Year, his vision for Grand Trunk Road was to laud classic dishes with the finest ingredients and time-honored cooking, via recipes derived from his personal journey across the legendary land that has made Grand Trunk Road synonymous with the very finest in Indian cuisine since his launch in 2016.
As a much-loved local business and supporter of local charities and community endeavours, the restaurant has developed a formidable reputation as one of the best in the UK, with many travelling across the country to sample the award-winning fare.
By offering diners a timeless gastronomic journey filled with heady spices and delicate flavours; mouth-watering dishes inspired by regions along the Grand Trunk Road, guests can enjoy delicacies prepared using traditional cooking methods, demonstrating a culinary dedication to the evocative flavours of Indian history.
Housed in South Woodford on the East London and Essex border, the restaurant’s winning formula and notable accolades include acknowledgement in the Michelin Guide, has also seen them hailed Best Indian Restaurant in London by the Asian Curry Awards.
We Look Forward To Welcoming You
Grand Trunk Road
We Look Forward To
Follow us on Instagram
Celebrate With Us
If you’re looking to host the ultimate celebration, at Grand Trunk Road we can provide you with an unforgettable experience.
Exceptional service combines with the very finest of dishes, inspired by the sights, smells, sounds and recipes of the famed Grand Trunk Road – considered by Rudyard Kipling to be the river of life.
The perfect setting for business lunches, client entertainment, anniversaries, receptions and birthdays, we can cater to parties both large and small.
Our private dining experts are more than happy to assist you with all the arrangements for you event. We further offer exclusive hire of the entire venue, with seating for up to 50, and 80 standing.
We can also cater events externally and can create a bespoke menu to meet your needs.
For more information, gift vouchers or party booking, please contact Rajesh Suri on:
- A trip down the Grand Trunk Road is well worth the journey’ by London Evening Standard
- Promises a gastronomic journey….a lovely place to be by Time Out London
- A timeless gastronomic journey of delicate flavours from Kabul to Kolkata by Bon Voyage and Bon Appétit!
- Michelin Guide. 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 & 2018
- Chef of the Year (Chef Iqbal Ahamad) for Asian Curry Awards
- Harden's- Top 100 UK Restaurant guide 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018
- 2021 Tripadvisor- Certificate of Excellence with entry into 10% best restaurant in the world
- Best Fine Dining Indian Restaurant London 2021/ 2020 –Awarded by Asian Curry awards
- Good Food Guide- 2021, 2020, 2019 & 2018
- Best Restaurant In Essex 2019, Finalist of Essex -Business & Restaurant Awards
- Best Indian Restaurant in London 2019 – Restaurant & Food Awards
- Chef of the year in London 2019 - Restaurant & Food Awards
- Best Indian Fine dining - 2018, London Curry Awards
- Lux Best Indian Restaurant in London 2018/2019
- Finalist – British Curry Awards 2018
- Best Indian Fine dining 2017- Feed the Lion
- Best new comer 2017 - Asian Curry Awards
The flavours of the food are out of this world; service is attentive and friendly,
and the atmosphere is cosy and inviting.
If you haven't already been, go! Great service, amazing taste experiences and prices are reasonable too.
I have now been a few times and I think it is my favourite place.
We celebrated our anniversary at GTR. From start to finish our experience was simply sublime. Staff were attentive and Rajesh kindly took the time to explain dishes, their cultural significance and made very welcome suggestions. The food tasted exquisite and presentation was exceptional. We can’t wait to go back!
Beautiful place, fantastic food and great cocktails.
Amazing service and a brilliant food journey!
We ordered the tasting menu. The food is nothing short of amazing! The service is friendly,
and I don't think there is better food in the South Woodford area. Would recommend!
We ordered the tasting menu. The food is nothing short of amazing! The service is friendly, and I don't think there is better food in the South Woodford area. Would recommend!
You’re in the top 10%